AZ Alkmaar, Copenhagen, Gent, Feyenoord, LASK and Rennes all booked locations in the final 16 as group winners whereas Roma assured themselves of a top-two end – however the outlook is much less clear-cut for Tottenham after their shock reverse away to Mura.
UEFA.com rounds up the Thursday night time motion.
How qualifying for the knockouts works
The eight group winners robotically undergo to the final 16. Additional knockout spherical play-offs will then be performed earlier than the spherical of 16 between the eight group runners-up and the third-ranked groups from the UEFA Europa League teams.
Tammy Abraham’s outrageous overhead kick topped off an outstanding night time for Roma, who secured development from Group C. The hosts’ ruthless temper was evident from the begin as Carles Pérez tapped in Stephan El Shaarawy’s stunning cross on quarter-hour. Nicolò Zaniolo was constructive all night time and drilled in the second earlier than Dmytro Matsapura saved Jordan Veretout’s spot kick. Zaniolo’s driving affect arrange Abraham for the third and the possibilities saved flowing till the striker’s bicycle-kick brilliance.
Key stat: Roma are actually unbeaten in 16 matches at the Stadio Olimpico in European competitors.
Spurs’ qualification hopes dangle in the stability after they have been overwhelmed by the final kick of the sport in Slovenia. Tomi Horvat fired an outstanding opener for the house facet, who have been in search of their first factors in the part, and Ryan Sessegnon’s first-half pink card elevated the possibilities of an upset. Harry Kane appeared to have saved the guests just for Amadej Maroša to interrupt away and fireplace a dramatic winner with the help of a deflection.
Key stat: Mura had misplaced their final six European matches and by no means taken a degree in the group stage of a UEFA membership competitors earlier than this sport.
Confirmed group winners
AZ Alkmaar (NED)
Best of the relaxation
- Cyriel Dessers struck has second purpose deep into added time to earn Feyenoord the draw they wanted at Slavia Praha to win Group E.
- Gent secured high spot in Group B earlier than their match at Anorthosis had kicked off after Partizan have been overwhelmed 1-0 at Flora.
- Copenhagen have been one other facet to progress as group winners due to a 4-0 victory at Lincoln Red Imps and a goalless draw between nearest challengers Slovan Bratislava and PAOK.
- Tottenham’s defeat meant a degree at house to Vitesse was sufficient for Rennes to wrap up Group G, and so they earned it courtesy of Gaëtan Laborde’s hat-trick in a 3-3 draw.
- A draw was additionally the tonic for AZ Alkmaar, with their 1-1 outcome away to Jablonec clinching first place in Group D.
- LASK have been the final of the six to rubber-stamp their place at the summit, Sascha Horvath scoring their 89th-minute winner to sink second-placed Maccabi Tel-Aviv.
- A win for Basel and draw for Qarabağ means the already-qualified pair head into their Matchday 6 assembly in Switzerland degree on factors in Group H.
Assured of a top-two end
Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR)
All Matchday 5 outcomes
Group A: HJK Helsinki 1-0 Alashkert, Maccabi Tel-Aviv 0-1 LASK
Group B: Anorthosis Famagusta 1-0 Gent, Flora Tallinn 1-0 Partizan
Group C: Roma 4-0 Zorya Luhansk, Bodø/Glimt 2-0 CSKA-Sofia
Group D: Jablonec 1-1 AZ Alkmaar, Randers 2-1 CFR Cluj
Group E: Slavia Praha 2-2 Feyenoord, Maccabi Haifa 0-1 Union Berlin
Group F: Slovan Bratislava 0-0 PAOK, Lincoln Red Imps 0-4 Copenhagen
Group G: Mura 2-1 Tottenham, Rennes 3-3 Vitesse
Group H: Kairat Almaty 2-3 Basel, Qarabağ 2-2 Omonoia