Home Sports IOC chief says Olympics will be held safely despite Japan's Covid surge

IOC chief says Olympics will be held safely despite Japan’s Covid surge

Speaking at a gathering of the coordination committee Wednesday, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach mentioned Japanese and Tokyo 2020 officers would make the precise determination on managing the state of affairs, and the dangers had been managed effectively thus far.

Bach and different officers — each from the IOC and Japanese sporting our bodies — pushed again in opposition to critics, with the IOC President saying his group has supplied to supply further medical personnel to assist pull off strict anti-Covid measures alongside the Tokyo authorities.

He added that 75% of people that plan on being within the Olympic Village have already been vaccinated, whereas organizers hope the ultimate quantity will be greater than 80%.

Bach mentioned the present plans have been examined with overseas athletes in several test events — none of which changed into tremendous spreader occasions.

Tokyo 2020 President Seiko Hashimoto, additionally talking on the opening of the assembly, mentioned the aim of Wednesday’s session was to concentrate on the safety of athletes and the general public. She mentioned the 2 principal focuses would be the frequent testing of athletes and separating them from the Japanese public.

Earlier this month, an internet petition calling for the Games to be canceled garnered 350,000 signatures in nine days, whereas the CEO of main Japanese e-commerce firm Rakuten has called plans to host the Games a “suicide mission.”

“Stop Tokyo Olympics” marketing campaign organizer Kenji Utsunomiya mentioned the occasion ought to happen solely when Japan can welcome guests and athletes wholeheartedly.

“We will not be in that state of affairs and due to this fact the Games ought to be canceled,” he informed a information convention, in keeping with Reuters. “Precious medical sources would wish to be diverted to the Olympics if it is held.”

Speaking to CNN this week, World Athletics president Seb Coe mentioned he was assured the Games might be held safely.

“Should we’ve the Games? Yes, we should always. Can we’ve them safely and safe? I consider we will,” Coe mentioned. “I’m not cavalier about that. But I do suppose there are techniques that are actually tried and examined. We know a lot extra about these techniques than we did a yr in the past.”

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular