The 11-alarm fire broke out round 8:15 p.m. Friday at the Majestic Industries warehouse on Passaic Street.
Saturday morning, after working via the evening in freezing temperatures, fire crews had been nonetheless working to douse the flames.
As of seven a.m., the fire was not utterly underneath management, however was contained, Mayor Hector Lora stated.
The fire began in the Majestic industries warehouse, the place the corporate manufactures gaming and hospitality furnishings for casinos and bingo halls and unfold to an adjoining constructing utilized by Qualco Inc. to supply chlorine pellets used to deal with swimming pools and spas.
No one was in the complicated when the fire began apart from the safety guard who referred to as authorities.
“it was a blessing I received out of there. I deal with that constructing prefer it’s my very own. I work there, it grows onto you. It hurts a bit of bit,” Justin Johnson stated.
Together the 2 buildings unfold over greater than 200,000 sq. ft and Lora stated the fire had the potential to be the worst the town had ever seen.
Officials had been involved about potential air high quality points, nevertheless, firefighters’ fast work saved the flames from reaching the realm the place greater than 100,000 kilos of chlorine pellets are saved.
There was additional concern about potential evacuations from a close-by residential space, however that was additionally prevented.
Gov. Phil Murphy made sources from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection company out there to evaluate the air high quality.
“They made an evaluation in phrases of the air high quality, as you possibly can see behind us they proceed battling this fire. But as a direct results of the exceptional response of firefighters and emergency responders they had been capable of comprise the fire and it didn’t attain the principle chemical plant,” Lora stated in a video posted on Facebook.
The air high quality has been deemed protected and no obligatory evacuations had been ordered.
Over a dozen firefighters had been injured in journeys and falls, together with sprained ankles, bumps, and bruises, because the hundreds of thousands of gallons of water used to place out the flames froze virtually instantly amid beneath freezing temperatures.
One firefighter was hit in the face by particles and brought to the hospital, however has since been launched.
Submit a News Tip
Copyright © 2022 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.